Thursday, May 6, 2010

What Really Grinds My Gears - Undeserved Promotions

So, as you already know - I work for an engineering firm (who's name will remain... un-named).

The company has this training program... it's an 18 month program that fresh college graduates join, and rotate from department to department learning a little bit about each group. In the end, they and the managers of each department work together to find the best fit for their permanent position. I went through it, and now am permanently placed into the ITS department.

A young lady has been in her rotation with us for a little while now... Longer than the typical rotation because we are so busy and don't have time to "catch up" a new member. She's an only child who's father works in engineering in South Florida. I was at her interview, where she said "I moved to Orlando so that my dad's successful career would not drive mine". I admired that. I asked her a few weeks ago if she wanted to join ITS permanently when she was done with the program and she replied "I don't know, I want to finish going through my other rotations".

Now, I've been her direct supervisor throughout this rotation. My boss has me working on a project and I'm delegating the work between her and another trainee and myself. Point being - I'm very unimpressed with the work I've received back. I'll give her a task that is easier than the task I give the other trainee... and it will be submitted 3 days later... with plenty of mistakes. At first I thought, "she's learning... there is a drop in productivity because of that... and quality". As time went on, however, and I saw more and more mistakes... I realized - she just doesn't really care. She's working just to get the job done, without actually thinking about it. So she's not even grasping the simple understanding of the design. In addition, anytime I walk into her cube - I can find at least three windows at the bottom of the screen flashing... What does this mean? Every one of those flashing windows is an internal instant message communicator - she's talking to her work buddies... ALL DAY.

I've been sure to express this to my boss. That I feel she needs to be talked to about her time management, and her attention to quality. In addition, she needs a reality check that just because she's in this program doesn't mean she doesn't have responsibilities.

A few weeks ago, our department manager had lunch with her father. Strictly business... discussing the possibilities of teaming up on projects. I come back from my vacation this week and find - she's been hired permanently.

I immediately go to my boss... "Did any of my observations of her work get through?"
His reply? "Of course they did... but as soon as that dinner was over, her father was giving us work... so she got hired". He proceded to explain that because of her Daddy, she could very well be our bosses before we get promoted.

1. Didn't she say she wasn't even sure if she wants ITS? Why do we want someone who may not even want us long term?
2. Didn't she say she didn't want Daddy paving the path of her career?
3. Doesn't anyone care that she doesn't produce quality work? Or work at all?
4. Isn't it unethical to hire someone under the implication that you will get work for it? Or on the other end... to give a company work under the implication that your daughter will get hired?

I have been working 80 hours a week... trying to do my job, and fix the mistakes she makes on her tasks. She has been working 40 hours a week... talking half of that time on communicator. I have learned the field very quickly and am able to lead a project without my bosses help... and with my rosey colored glasses on - just cannot fathom how this goes unnoticed.

My boss ensures me that come time for promotions, he will be in the department managers office fighting for me... but in the end the decision is out of our hands... and the girl with the golden Daddy will likely win.

I just need to quit working and find a rich engineer who will adopt me.
Anyone? Anyone?

... and That, BluePrints Blog, Is what really grinds my gears...

2 comments:

  1. Wow...intense post! Glad to have you on the team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I promise not all my posts will be so angry. :-)
    It was just what was on my mind this week.
    Look forward to my upcoming post on getting the most out of LAS VEGAS!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete