Sunday, January 31, 2010

Who is (the new) Spiderman???

So I figured with all this Apple nonsense, I'd take a break from gadgets and write about something else nerdy. It was announced recently that there would be no more Spiderman 4 with Sam Raimi featuring Tobey Maguire. Instead, Mark Webb, director of (500) Days of Summer, has picked up the franchise. In my opinion, that is freakin' awesome. But ultimately that leads to one big question: Who will be the next Peter Parker?

I have picked my favorite 2, and if it's either I'd be pretty stoked. But before that, let's talk about a few rumors. The first one I saw made me almost throw up in my mouth a little. One website had Zac Effron as Spidey. Peter may have gone emo in Spiderman 3, but I don't remember him being gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). Another one that I kinda liked, kinda didn't was Anton Yelchin, of Star Trek and Charlie Bartlett fame. While I think he'd be good at it, I don't like him as much as I do my top 2 picks, at least not yet.

So who do I want to be the next Spiderman? Either Emile Hirsch or Joseph Goron Levitt. We'll start with Emile. The dude is a brilliant actor. His work in The Girl Next Door, which might not have been an amazing movie, showed that he can pull off the role of a kid in over his head. And Into the Wild (which is still one of my favorite films ever) and Milk showed a big range for the 24 year old. He'd be much less... I guess the only word I can think of is "Doofy" than Toby, which while it might not be as accurate a portrayl of the comic book legend, would make for a much more entertaining watch.

And as for JoGo Levitt, I only see one problem: he's 28. But his appearance and his great acting ability would allow him to defy that when necessary and make a "grown up and lesson-learned" Parker appear that much more mature. Plus, he's already had experience with Webb in (500) Days, which was phenomenal, and may be why Webb took the gig in the first place.

I'm really excited for the 2012 reboot, especially after how bad Raimi handled the amazing story of Black Suit Spiderman and Venom. One funny rumor I heard for a villain was Steve Buschi as Carnage (which could definitely work). But there's one cast member that had better stay the same, and that's J.K. Simmons a Jonah Jameson. That may have been the best casting in the histo of anything ever.

1 comment:

  1. Brother Gyllenhaal would be very hot choice, byt maybe too close to tobey?

    ReplyDelete