Friday, January 22, 2010

Three Greatest Words Ever Used in Tandem - Free Scotch Tasting

Those people that know me, know that I like to drink. My wife will tell you that I like to talk about drinking even more. She'd probably be right.

The truth is, I like the taste of different drinks, and I don't mean just alcohol. Its a family thing. When we used to go out to dinner, the server would have to put a pitcher of tea down for my dad, brother and I. That would get refilled 4 to 5 times during a meal. When I was in high school, I used to drink a 2 liter of soda in school...every day. When I turned 21, the addition of alcohol added a whole new variety of beverages I could try. Beer or all varieties, wines, liquors, mixed drinks, martinis, margaritas, the list is endless.

You see, I don't drink to get drunk or even buzzed. I enjoy the taste of all of it. So when my buddy asked "Do you want to go to a scotch tasting tonight?" I said "Is there any stronger affirmative than yes?" Scotch is my favorite drink of all, so needless to say, I was excited.

I usually just drink cheap scotch, like Johnny Walker Red or Black label. I like that. This tasting let everyone try 4 different kinds of scotch. Black Gouse, Highland Park and MacCallan 18 year old, 21 year old Highland Park, and a 25 year old MacCallan. I've always thought there couldn't possibly be a reason to spend so much more on scotch just because its older. How much of a difference could it really make? I mean, there are kinds out there that are hundreds of dollars an OUNCE, thousands for a bottle. I don't see a time in my life when I would be willing to spend that kind of money on one drink, but at this tasting there was a chance to try an ounce of the Highland Park 40 year old scotch, valued at $345 an ounce. The guy from MacCallan that was the host of the event, was Scottish, and he knew his scotch. I learned lots of really cool things.

In the end, I was one of the people that got to try the Highland Park 40, and let me tell you, it was AMAZING. I've never tasted anything like it. It was sweet and strong and sorta caramelized in your mouth. It was smooth going down, much more so than any kind of scotch I have ever tasted. I managed to savor the half ounce I got to drink for a solid 20 mins.

I still don't think I would ever spend that kind of money for myself, but I can say that it was an experience like nothing I have ever tasted.

Then, in my infinite wisdom, I washed down my $345 aftertaste with an 89 cent five layer burrito from Taco Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment