Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Restoration of Stephen Baldwin (AKA Job)

I heard about a very interesting website today while listening to the radio. For anyone curious, the website is restorestephenbaldwin.org/. If/when you go there, make sure you watch the video, because it is hilarious.  For those of you that don't want to go there (or anyone that wants a good laugh), I will explain what this website is about.

Apparently, Stephen Baldwin is broke. I personally find this shocking because he's been in AMAZING movies like Bio-Dome, The Flinstones in Viva Rock Vegas, and Slapshot 2: Breaking the Ice. I can't see how these titans of Hollywood have not set him up for life. Needless to say, Stephen is one of the lesser Baldwin brothers.

The website previously mentioned believes that the fall in his career is due to his becoming a Born Again Christian in 2002. They say that because of his devout beliefs, he could only take on roles that were uplifting to God and Jesus. They then go on to compare him to Job. For those that don't know, this is what the website says about the story of Job:

Job was the most inflential man in the east, (Job 1-3) he was a man of great wealth who stood up for righteousness and his God. However, there came a period of time where Job went through great distress and testing. He lost his children, his health, his home and wealth. Throughout this pain and suffering, he stood in faithfulness to God and would not turn his back on Him. Because of his faithfulness, Job was instantly restored by "All Who Knew Him"

I have a number of problems with this idea. First of all, the assumption that his career has gone downhill since 2002. The three aforementioned movies were all released in or before 2002. After this, he is in such awesome movies as Shark in Venice, a movie who's title makes the entire story so blatantly obvious that I won't even bother clicking on the link to confirm my suspicions (I personally would have titled the movie Jaws in a Canal). He has also done a number of TV movies and guest appearances, including CSI, the most watched show on TV. I really can't decide how I feel about this information. I mean, the three movies before 2002 were all awful (well, I at least assume that the last two were awful since I refuse to watch them), so is Shark in Venice really that much of a downgrade? I mean, its hard to say his career has ever really flourished. The only good movies in his career are The Usual Suspects and Half Baked, both of which were before 2002, but there's plenty of junk surrounding these two decent films.

The next issue is the comparison to Job. Now I'm by no means a devout Christian (or really a devout anything for that matter) but to compare Stephen Baldwin to Job is a little ridiculous to me. For one thing, Job didn't have 3 famous (and significantly more successful) brothers. Any of the three of them could easily help their youngest brother out of his financial problems. Plus, Job was ALWAYS a believer, Stephen just picked it up 8 years ago. 

More than that, why would God choose Stephen Baldwin to put through trials and tribulations? Is he supposed to prove some divine truth to us all?  What truth could that possibly be? I don't remember a commandment that said "Thou shalt not have minor supporting roles in horrible movies." Are we supposed to learn that if you have three successful older brothers, don't try and take on the same career as them?  I know He works in mysterious ways, but I just don't see the greater plan here.

And that brings me to my last point. Lets just suspend disbelief for a moment and assume that this is some holy conspiracy. If that is true, why do the believers (people from the website) take it upon themselves to end God's work?  If God himself decided that Stephen needed a test of his faith, who are WE mere mortals to end such a trial? When God is ready for Stephen to be "restored", won't He see to it that its done? And I'm pretty sure God wouldn't use a website for His purposes. Plus, in the story of Job, it was "all who knew him" that gave him token gifts, not all that knew OF him. I can pretty safely guarentee that I will be giving nothing to Stephen Baldwin (I wouldn't even donate any money to the people of Haiti), and I know of him. What is His plan for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment