Monday, April 19, 2010

New Faces in Familiar Places

There is a new face here at BluePrints Blog... and I'm it. I guess this is my introductory post.

My name is Whitney. I'm 23 years old, born and raised in Jupiter. Please... don't laugh and tell me you're from Mars. It's been done before. Jupiter, Florida - the best town on the East coast of Florida!!!

I moved to Orlando in 2004 with dreams of saving the world and being a UCF Knight. While I've accomplished the latter, I am still working on saving the world. I loved going to UCF... well, I loved going to UCF for anything other than class... i.e. Wackadoos before class... during class... or after class. As a Knight, I majored in Civil Engineering. I got my first job in my field of study working for the General Contractor on the UCF football stadium. I had the opportunity to be in the trailer on the jobsite for the year and a half it was under construction. My roommates at the time (fellow bloggers Matt and Brad) had the opportunity to collect on the free food brought home from various celebratory events I attended. It really was a win-win. BTW... if you ask me about the waterfountains... I promise to answer... but I also may punch you in the throat. No guarantees there...

After the stadium, and one other small construction project, I decided to start my career in the design side of engineering. I got an internship with a transportation firm... graduated in May 2008 and began working full time with them. Since then I've gotten experience designing Airport airfields, roadways, drainage systems and ITS systems. I've since found a permanent home in ITS systems - Intelligent Transportation Systems. I'll likely blog a lot about the things I do in my job - so just to give a jist of what I do... I design smart roads. Fiber optic networks that provide security, safety and efficiency on roadways.

I'm a workaholic... People ask me why I work so much, and my response is usually "we have a lot to do, and not enough time to do it"... and while that is true... the reality is I love it. Don't be fooled, though... the Irish-Italian in me plays as hard as I work!!! I love pool. I play pool on a team twice a week, and in singles tournaments at least once a week. I don't get any time to practice... but at my rate of improvement - even without practice - I think I could play in some pro tours in the next 5 years or so. I also play flag football once a week...
Similarly to Matt... I like consistency in my life... It's just a bit of chaotic consistency. I'm up at 5:30 in the morning for my morning work out... at work by 9... and home at 10:30 pm (from either work or post-work festivities) or later packing for the next days shenanigans!!

So that's the life story...

I'm not really sure what I expect to get out of this blog... Or give to this blog. But I think it would be a good place to get my thoughts down after long days of craziness... If you're interested in the career I described... Pool (billiards)... and the random "what grinds my gears" thoughts of the day... then I think (and hope) you'll enjoy what I have to say. :-)

Till next time, I bid you adeu.
-Whitney

No comments:

Post a Comment