Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Travis' Hands On Review of Fennec for Android!



Ok, so today I was playing with the new Fennec browser for Android 2.0 and above devices. Above is a video demonstration and some review. A couple of things I wanted to touch on that I didn't mention in the video.

One big thing is that this pre-alpha version had no good way of zooming in. It didn't use multitouch, which I wasn't expecting anyway, but it didn't even have the stock browser's +/- zoom keys. All you could do is double-tap where you wanted to zoom in, and hope that it zoomed at all, and from there hope it was a good size.

Again, the browser is largely unresponsive, making me tap things multiple times. Also, as seen in the video, on the Droid it doesn't bring up the software keyboard, though I have seen screenshots elsewhere that showed it, presumably on the Nexus One. And speaking of typing, sometimes when you started typing in a text field, it would throw you to the top of the page, often completely hiding the text field you need to see.

And finally, a lot of the Add Ons weren't compatible with this build. Again, it's pre-alpha, so I didn't expect much, but there were some more basic ones that could have been easily added. I hope you enjoyed my video walk-through. Please leave your thoughts in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment