Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Wireless Wednesday: Now Girlfriend/Wife/Fiancee Approved!

It came to my attention recently that I post a lot about phones, and apparently not everyone cares as much as I do about them. I know, I don't get it either! More specifically, my fiancee and sister in-law(s?) don't. So this edition of Wireless Wednesday will feature some editorial about ageism!

So a few weeks ago, Cailin and I had plans to have a nice fondue dinner, but we had to kill an hour or two until the place opened, so we went to a nearby mall. While we were there, dodging the creepy T-Mobile salesgoons, we stopped in some department store's (who shall remain nameless not to protect its identity, but because I totally forgot) men's department so I could get a new belt.

We had found the right style but the wrong price (rather the wrong price for Cailin for my money) (I kid, she's great) (save me!) at another store, so we knew what size I needed (the size will remain vague, though not due to poor memory). This crappy department store had the right style (yeah, I'm picky with my belts, what about it?) but they didn't have my size, so I proceeded to take it to the counter to see if they had any in the infamous The Back. This is where the trouble started.

The gentleman at the counter had just finished with another gentleman as I started my approach from not 15 feet away. We made eye contact as I walked over. The clerk had to have been around his mid-40s, putting him 20+ years above me. As I neared the counter, he pulled out his phone and starting typing away. I got to the counter, expecting him to look up, start to say hello, or at the very least grunt to acknowledge my existence. He did nothing of the sort, and continued to be consumed in his phone. Now he was using an AT&T Palm Centro, which I know for a fact has really NOTHING that is that interesting (sorry ladies, I'm taking baby steps here).

I quickly realized that the brief moment of contact before arriving at the "help" desk was the best I was going to get, so I asked the top of his balding head if they had more belts of varying size. He asked me if I had gotten it off the rack, rather, I assume he was asking me since the Centro didn't respond, despite him looking intensely at it. I responded affirmatively, and was then told that what I saw is what they had. I had to resist from expressing my relief from their adequate supply of douche bags. Instead, I dropped the belt on the counter and said thanks a bunch with enough sarcasm that even a boy with Asperger's would have taken the hint.

To clarify a little, it's not like I was some obnoxious teenager, or even an even more annoying frat boy who's conceited attitude is outshone only by the Bedazzles on his Ed Hardy shirt. I had just come from work myself, so I was still in my button up shirt and slacks. We hadn't been loud or ruined their displays, so the only thing I can think that annoyed the grump about me was my age or him being just generally unpleasant. That was until a similar situation happened with a woman in another pretentious department store.

So apparently being my age is now an offensive thing. Now I don't know what crawled up the anal cavity of the previous generation, but may I suggest an enema for you Baby Boomers, because Fun Fact: You are our parents, the reason we are who we are. While I'll be the first to admit that my generation is far from perfect and not showing signs of getting any better (Proof: the growing success of Lady Gaga and the existence of The Hills), don't assume that all of us are wastes of space. And instead of insta-hating us and thinking we all have an unnaturally large sense of entitlement, how about you take a second to see if you're right.

I'm not entirely sure what happened to these people that make them so surly. Maybe it's "The Economy", or maybe it's a growing awareness of how fast the world is changing around them, and how little it seems to effect those who have known nothing else. But of nothing less, they need to remember who will be the ones voting in 30 years about whether or not to keep social security.

Hope you ladies enjoyed! Stay tuned next week when we're back to normal!

3 comments:

  1. Asbergers! God-damn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although quoted out of context, I think that this pretty much sums up your article! "we all have an unnaturally large sense of entitlement"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your problem is not the "age" but rather that you insist on walking into expensive department stores at the mall to buy fancy belts. Try not being so pretentious and go belt shopping in a place that caters to 20 year olds rather than 50 year olds. The people at Macy's and Dillard's will never expect you to actually BUY anything in their stores unless you walked in with a D&G belt with matching sunglasses to begin with.

    ReplyDelete