Monday, March 1, 2010

Book Review Time

I have a lot of free time in schools everyday, so I have started reading pretty heavily again. I want to take a couple minutes to recommend some great fantasy books to anyone interested (and to those of you that don't think you are, you should give them a chance).

I just finished reading The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (Amazon page for book one: http://tinyurl.com/y9nr2q5). This series is in my opinion one of the best fantasy series I've ever read. It was recommended to me by my wife's best friend (we tend to trade book ideas a lot) and she was way right about this one.

The series centers around a boy who lives in a world where the people can control the elements through these little elemental beings called Furies. The main character in the book (Tavi) is the only person on the planet that does not have any control over the Furies of the world.

The series in general is an excellently entertaining and suspenseful mix of action, adventure, magic, political maneuvering, espionage, and war/battle tactics. Throughout the 6 book series there are lots of twists and turns of the plot, some predictable and others totally shocking.

If you haven't read this series, you should check it out. If you have read it, comment and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading the last book over the weekend. What I love about it is how clever it is. I love how Tavi finds creative solutions to whatever his problem is.

    ReplyDelete