Monday, February 1, 2010

Denny's - Even Worse Than...Denny's

So last night, we had a little bowling party for some people that I used to work with. All three of the contributors here were present. The bowling isn't really all that important (if for no other reason that that I lost), but after words, we went to Denny's. The experience in of itself was both horrifyingly bad and hilarious, but I am going to use it as an example of how strangely my mind works as well.

There were 6 of us in total, Travis, Matt, A, M, D, and me (didn't really ask permission to use their names in the post, so I'll just use the letter). We all ordered with very little problems. Travis and I each ordered the new Meat Lovers Trio, and the rest ordered a collection of appetizers and deserts that really aren't all that important. When she brings the food, D and M each notice mistakes with their orders and the server leaves to correct them. I then realize that Travis and my Meat Lovers Trio is a Meat Lovers Duo, due to the fact the the "NEW Sausage and Cheese Smother Hashbrowns" are just hashbrowns (it is important for me to point out that our meal includes a piece of country fried steak with gravy on top). When she comes back, she says "Oh, sorry, let me fix that." She reaches to take our plates and as she takes Travis' she says "Nice gravy."

Matt then realizes a mistake in his order, finds her to tell her. Not to be left out, the kind of pie A wanted was frozen solid, so she asked for pumpkin and the server brought lemon (though afraid her next piece would likely include an unwanted special sauce, she just ate the lemon pie). A good five minutes later, we all have the correct food and are eating. For the entire 5 minutes I have been thinking about only one thing: "Why did she say 'nice gravy'?"

My first possibility was because he spread the gravy over the steak. There were two problems with that. First, I assume that most people spread the gravy (I had done the same thing) for even distribution. Plus, she didn't comment on my equally and effectively spread gravy. Another possibility was she was being sarcastic, and noting how little gravy there was. This was disproved by there being no more gravy added when given back. The other option was that she was just commenting on how nice Denny's gravy is. This seems highly unlikely as Denny's gravy could be called many things (the two that stand out in my mind are "edible" and "decent") but "nice" isn't one of them. Plus, even then it doesn't make a lot of sense to say this to the person that would be eating the gravy. You might say it to the cook or even herself as she poured it.

So after the five minutes of running through all the possibilities, I ask the rest of the table. Most of them didn't even notice it was said, and no one had any clue as to why it would be said. Travis and I also had an ridiculously long and convulsive laugh about it on the way home, which made driving difficult the the steady stream of tears coming out of my eyes.

In the end, it will bother me for a long time. I can't come up with a legitimate reason for her to say that. It just makes no sense. People will probably say "Well, she works at Denny's, what do you expect?" to which I reply, while offensive to Denny's workers this statement is true. However, even through stupidity I can usually understand what someone meant. This just doesn't make any sense.

Oh well. Nice gravy to you all.

1 comment:

  1. One other thing worth mentioning is the second best line of that night at the alley: "This place has hotdogs, beer, and couches. It's like Wii Bowling...but for real!"

    ReplyDelete